Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Another Baby Shower and Praying for a Friend

This past weekend my wonderful friend who I will call K threw me a baby shower at our church. We had a wonderful turn out, I got even more stuff than I did at my family shower!  My Pastor always says whenever God orders something in your life He will always pay the bill and leave a tip, and that has surely been the case for us, I have gotten everything I needed and wanted for Jacqueline, which when we first found out we were having a girl I was nervous because everything I already had that family and friends had given me was all for a boy, but the Lord has provided! We have been busy washing clothes and putting the finishing touches on the nursery, I will post pics of the nursery once it's all done.
Now on to a prayer request. I would love for you all to help me pray for my dear friend K. She is the one that threw me the baby shower this past weekend, she is struggling with infertility caused by severe endometriosis. We actually became friends because when Roger and I started to try for a baby K was just diagnosed with endo and her and her husband were told by their OB to try to get pregnant naturally for a few months before moving on to fertility treatments. There were also like 4 other couples trying to get pregnant at the same time we were and at the end of 6 months everyone was pregnant except for me and K, so we became quick friends, she seemed to be the only person who understood how I was feeling. We have supported each other for almost 3 years now, I know the Lord brought us together to help each other through some really hard times, like it says in Proverbs 27:17(KJV), " Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." She has been a real friend to me but lately her life has been especially hard. Looking back at the beginning of last summer I really thought life for both of us would be totally different than what it has turned out to be. Last June K and her husband took a step of faith after being told by her OB dr that she really need to do IVF and do it soon if she ever wanted any children, so they decided to take some loans and go for it. She started her 1st IVF cycle in July and they transferred 2 beautiful embryos. The Dr. was so sure that their 1st try was gonna work, she was actually nervous they would end up with twins, but sadly K called me on Aug 18 to tell me that her 1st cycle had failed, and by that point Roger and I had already shared our good news and I felt terrible that her cycle didn't work, we soo wanted to be pregnant together. K was so devastated that she and her husband decided to take a month off and try again in October for a FET. That time they only had 1 good embryo and 1 that wasn't that good but they transferred both anyway and K was just so sure it wouldn't work, and she was shocked when her 1st beta was positive! Roger and I were so thrilled for them, and I couldn't believe we were gonna have a baby just months apart! All of K's numbers looked good, her betas doubled and she went in for her 1st ultrasound and they couldn't see the heartbeat but the Dr. basically said that it might have been just too early. So a week later K went in again and I will never forget the text she sent me, all it said was, "I can't talk right now, but I just wanted to let you know our baby is dead. There hasn't been any growth and still no heartbeat." I was shocked and my heart just broke for her and her husband. She wanted to be able to miscarry naturally but a small piece of the sac didn't come out and she ended up having a D&C not that long before Christmas. It was heartbreaking because she was so excited when she found out she was pregnant that she shared the news with everyone and even did a FaceBook announcement, and sadly just a few weeks later it was all over. And as if this all wasn't bad enough for them they got even more bad news during one of the ultrasounds that she has a huge fibroid on her uterus and before they can try IVF again she has to have major surgery and recover for six months. So the fertility Dr. she sees has recommended that K do 2 stimulating cycles back to back to have some eggs frozen and ready to go for their next FET. Then she is a teacher in our church's christian school so she doesn't want to leave the kids in the middle of the school year, so she is gonna wait until July to have surgery, so they are looking at next spring finally being able to transfer another embryo. She has been so strong through all of this. After finding out about her miscarriage I asked her if she was sure she still wanted to throw me a baby shower because I know how hard it can be, but she insisted that she wanted to do it and that even though it wasn't her time she was still happy for me. She threw me such a beautiful shower but the whole time I could see that she was hurting, so I pulled her to the side to make sure she was ok and of course she said, "I'm ok, I just started my period." Isn't that how it always works out? I felt really bad, but she seemed excited about it because now that she has started she is going to be starting her stimulating cycle and she is excited to see if they can get more eggs than they did last time.
I don't know why God gave K a baby and then took it away so quickly, there are just some things that we aren't supposed to understand. All I know is that God is God and God is Good all the time. Romans 8:28 (KJV) says, "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them that are called according to his purpose. " Please help me pray for my friend K as she goes through these stimulating cycles, I pray that they get lots of good embryos. And pray for her strength as she gets ready for this major surgery this summer.  God made a miracle happen once and I know that He will do it again for her.



No comments:

Post a Comment